Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Eating Right . . .

pound cake

Eating is still a struggle.  Well, eating good food isn't a struggle because I've been managing to consume more veggies.  I contracted to purchase shares of a CSA (community supported agriculture) from June to October,  I get my box every week.  I am trying to use everything and let nothing go to waste.  I especially love getting eggs in our share.  Nothing like fresh eggs.

But I am still struggling with wanting a nice latte and chocolate chip/cream cheese muffin.  Part of me wants to live a normal, non deprived life, but I realize that to lose weight I have to maintain willpower?  Or do I?  Will it always be so regimented?  Should it be so strict?  I have lost the answer to that one.  The first time I lost weight, I was 20.  I lost 75 lbs in 5 months.  I recall that I did manage to eat a very nutritionally balanced vegetarian diet.  I just don't remember if sweets or treats were included.  I am inclined to say "no", but I didn't have 3 kids, who likes a mom that bakes them treats, which I almost never do now that I work outside of the home.

I don't own a mixer; so cookies, cakes and breads are done by hand.  I don't have time to bake like I used to, so I feel safe from myself, but passing a bakery or coffee shop is becoming sheer torture.  It is just cruel to say that I can't have something sweet.  I would rather eat it and reduce my calories elsewhere or increase my exercise.  And I am not talking everyday.  Just when the mood strikes.  Part of me feels that if I do mentally allow myself to partake, then I won't be so obsessed to partake in them  . . . everyday.

Exercise has become a struggle too.  I was a bit out of sorts last week.  I just got back to a routine today.  I got up at 5 a.m. and did the spin bike for an hour while watching a movie.  I am really loving the time spent watching a movie and getting my fitness in.  But running has suffered.  I haven't done Yoga in about 3 weeks since starting my Summer teaching.  DVDs are collecting dust.  Weights?  Where are those weights?  Kids have been using them to exercise their puny muscles.

I am planning out my exercise calendar again.  I think it is better for me to see it outlined, and then I can drag myself out of bed to do them in the early morning.  I am walking a few times a week with my co-worker.  There have been occasions where I have done 2 workouts a day.  I've even inspired my co-worker to do more than one exercise routine a day; and she has taken up water aerobics again.  Yay, me!  But I need to inspire myself to work harder.

Weight:  I weighed in this morning at 204.  Down 4 lbs from the last 2 weeks.  I can't say it is anything that I've consciously done, but I hope it doesn't go back up.  

What is your philosophy or plan around a sweet treat or a high calorie dish?

5 comments:

  1. I am a 44-year-old, married mom of two young sons and I completely relate to having kids around who want the sweet treats from which I'm trying to abstain. That said, they would be happy with gummy bears or a popsicle while I want chocolate truffles and New York Super Fudge Chunk ice cream. Isn't it funny that the kids' cravings get an "or" while mine get an "and"? Anyway, back to your question...My philosophy is that in order for my health eating and exercise plan to be long-term and sustainable, I must have the occasional indulgence. That is to say these treats must be both occasional and indulgent. I have no business eating the empty calories in a handful of gummy bears because they are not something I truly crave and I won't be satisfied. I will still want the ice cream. Better I should eat a small portion of the ice cream and be satisfied. But I can only do this once in a while and not daily as I have been known to do in the past.

    Thanks for your writing. Reading it reminds me that other people have some of the same struggles that I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do two simple things. I am a huge fan of ice cream. Especially, Ben & Jerry's, but B&J's is high in fat and sugar for just one serving. So if I have that craving, I usually just take a spoonful and eat it slowly. If I want something larger I will usually opt for Frozen Yogurt and just put it into my daily calorie allowance. This goes for cake, banana bread or any other chocolate treat. I don't do it every day, but once a week is sometimes good enough for me. Sometimes. :)

    Josher McGuire
    phatjosh.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Rosa, you are asking the wrong person on this question. I have a sweet tooth and love my lattes and pan dulce or any type of cake. It's such a struggle to eat clean. I think it's okay to have a treat and splurge now and then as long as you plan for them and they're within your calories. At least that's what I thought when the doctor said I was prediabetic. Imagine a world without sweets. It feels like I've lost a loved one... that's how much I love sweets.

    But, I must say, Dreyers makes a good fat free/sugar free fudge tracks icecream that tastes wonderful. Baskin Robbins has some great sugar free and non fat ice cream as well. I've yet to find a substitute for my pastries but I'm working on it. I cannot imagine a world without them... I figure I just need to get creative... I can do that.

    Congratulations on the 2 lb weight loss. Sounds like you need to light the fire within again with exercising but you are being active and that's half the battle.

    I can really relate to this post. BTW... thanks for your comment. Daniel was so pleased that you knew what Moronga was and that you liked it. It is such a challenge not to indulge in all the non diet friendly foods my family eats. Every celebration in our culture is centered around what's being served.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Part of me feels that if I do mentally allow myself to partake, then I won't be so obsessed to partake in them . . . everyday."

    This holds true for me. The *instant* I mentally cross something off the "allowed" list, I can think of nothing else; however, if I take a more liberal approach, it turns into not so big a deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've come to realise and accept that there is no "normal, non deprived life" for most slim and healthy people.

    Most people who are slim and healthy restrict food intake in some way. Of course there are a few rare people who eat whatever they want and remain thin but they are not the norm.

    I'm not having sweets now but I know that when I reincorporate them into my diet, I'll have to restrict the frequency and amount I have if I want to be slim and healthy.

    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts and Support?