Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas with an early resolution . . .



I have been gone for a bit trying to sort out the next phase of our new life.  I've been busy with work, kids, hubby,  new house, and Nana.  It has been quite an adjustment.

During the period of Thanksgiving, I went on a sugar and carb binge.  I was overdosing on the sugary lattes, large cookies and desserts every day for about 3 weeks.  However, in early December, I realized that I must make a change.  I mentioned in a previous post that I was flirting with the idea of Paleo.  Well, 3 weeks ago, I gave up grains and sugar.  This past Monday, I went out to eat with hubby and had carbs--a mousse tort and a ravioli dish with sweet potato inside.  It was divine.  However, what was not divine was the next day when I suffered from an itchy rash on my face and then 5 zits appeared.  My body was inflammed and I was wheezing with asthma for most of the next day.  My body was letting me know that it wasn't cool with what I consumed.  When my doctor tested me for gluten intolerance, I didn't present with an intolerance.  However, the proof is in the way I feel.  It certainly does give me a reaction.

So I committed to grain free (no wheat, oats, barley and even rice) and sugar free (no stevia, even).  I am done 'cause I'm an addict.  I can't even take it in little doses.  I was not feeling well.  I had felt a lot of numbness in my hands and fingers when I was bingeing.  I was worried that I am pre-diabetic.  I am working hard not to overload my liver with insulin.  Thankfully, we aren't traditional Christmas bakers and cooks.  We don't make a large meal and desserts.  We travel every year, so I was okay with starting my New Year's resolution much earlier.

I've been devouring blogs and articles on paleo lifestyle.  It  is simple:

no grains
no dairy
no sugar
lift heavy things
get outdoors and get sun

I think I can do this.  I have been more focused and conscious of my eating and am back to exercising.
I've been researching Crossfit.  Okay, I think they are a bunch of nuts, but the concept intrigues me.  I like hard, ballistic, high intensity intervals, plyomentric, and want to get back to strength training.  I used to lift weights in the middle '90s, I stopped with school, later the babies, and then the moves to different places.

I've been reading blogs and viewing videos online about Crossfit and Kettlebells.  I showed a picture of the Kettlebells that we own that are in our workout dungeon.  Yesterday, I did The Firm DVD (it is their new 20 minute High Intensity interval training program that I got two from Amazon--not the As Seen On TV set).  It was 20 minutes of plyo and light weights.  I then did a workout routine with my 12kg Kettlebells (26 lbs). I did 3 sets of 12 of the first 4 exercises.  I didn't think I did that much work.  I want to master the swing so I can build strength and lose weight.

I started feeling the effects of it late last night while wrapping presents.  My arms killed.  My right knee was dying.  I went to bed after taking two Advil and fell right to sleep at midnight.  This morning, my delts and shoulders are unhappy, but slightly excited about this program that I hope to embark on in the new year.

Hubby bought an elliptical for us, yet, I've used it more than he has in the last two months since it has resided with us.  I hope to do a lot of DVDs and Kettlebells.  I want to get stronger and burn more fat at rest because of the muscles that I will be building.

Now that Christmas is over, what are your New Year's resolutions?

1 comment:

  1. I know I haven't been around for almost a year now, but I am so glad to see you are still blogging and going at it! And paleo! Wow! My hubby and I are hardcore paleo people now. (Except for the holidays where we fell off the wagon a bit.) We have also done some CrossFit. I am starting the paleo induction again January 9th which is the hardest of the hardcore paleo for 30 days to cleanse your system. That means no grains (including corn), no legumes, nothing processed, no sugars (not even the natural ones for 30 days), no dairy. It's going to be brutal, but I know I can do it because I have done it before. I love how much information is out there now about paleo...lots of sites and even new cookbooks coming out. The world is waking up to what is (and is not) real food. It just takes some time.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts and Support?