Friday, October 18, 2013

Soups On!

Untitled

One of the things that I enjoy most, when I am trying to eat healthy, is to make soup. I make a big batch of soup in my crock pot. I then blend the soup in my blender until it is liquid. I jar the soup in manageable amounts and freeze.

I don't like chunky soups. I find it unappealing to eat chunks of bean and veggies. I just want to slurp a flavorful soup and call it a day.  I do like chowders and stews, though, when I go out to eat.

I pull out the soup the day of, defrost/thaw, and reheat. Often I will use leftover meats and roasted veggies to add when I've heated the soup. I love putting some chopped scallions. Yum!

All my soups are made with the same foundation. And you can always make it vegetarian by eliminating the stock or bouillion cubes.

5 c. water (2 chicken bouillion cubes when using water or 5 c. chicken stock)
1 can of coconut milk
2 carrots
1 celery stalk
1 medium onion
2 large cloves of garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning (it is a mix of really flavorful herbs)

Once I have the base of the soup in the pot, I add whatever other veggie and bean available in my pantry. The soup above is a butternut squash and chickpea soup that was cooked for 4 hours, left to warm overnight, and blended this morning. I've made the same with beets and pink beans, cauliflower with white beans, carrots with red lentils, etc. It is whatever your heart desires.

Do not blend hot. Make sure it is warm to cool before liquefying. Make sure you have enough space in your jar for the soup to expand when you freeze.

If you are prepared with pre-made frozen meals, you are most likely to stay on your weight loss plan. This is a great way to stick to your plan.

Do you like soup? Do you make your own? What is your favorite soup?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts and Support?