Saturday, October 23, 2010

Portion Control . . .

December 1, 2008

One thing I've been really working hard at doing is to reduce my portions by prepacking my meals into my white Corelle cereal bowls.  They have plastic lids as covers.  I pack breakfast, which is usually oatmeal with cranberries, walnuts and almond milk.  For lunch, it is usually left overs from the night before.  I pack my lunch right after dinner.  Sometimes I have enough for a couple days of lunch.  Is it boring sometimes?  Yes.  However, I really just want to control the excess eating.

I've been measuring portions; especially of my grains and rice.  I sure love rice.  I've limited myself to 1/2 cup of white rice on the occassions that I make it.  If I want seconds (which I am resisting), I don't feel so guilty because I've not gone over 1 cup. 

My biggest weakness is snacking before dinner.  Well . . . binging.  That is the time when I feel the need to decompress from the day, from the stressors of family life, from the guilt of binging--I'm aware that doesn't make sense. 

My first weigh-in at Weight Watchers wasn't very successful.  I am still sick with this bronchial issue.  Coughing all night and day.  I am still stressed about my Mom.  My son is a handful too.   Life gets in the way.  But the great news, I didn't gain.  I lost .2 pounds.  That is fine by me.  I am working harder this week.

I've come to the realization this morning that one bowl of cereal with almond milk, cranberries, and walnuts is enough.  It is more than enough to fill me.  Anymore than that means I am trying to fill something else.  I just always have to think what that something else is.

How do you control portions?

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Just came across your blog and loved it! Controlling portions can be difficult but, the best way to do it is to use smaller bowls. They do help a lot.

    I'm following your blog to monitor your progress. Hope you visit mine sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this last part, Rosa:
    "I've come to the realization this morning that one bowl of cereal with almond milk, cranberries, and walnuts is enough. It is more than enough to fill me. Anymore than that means I am trying to fill something else. I just always have to think what that something else is."

    Mmmm.
    Hope you're having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Portion control is hard! Do you like brown rice? I love it and can't even eat white rice anymore. I think it has less WW points than white and I know it is healthy for you. Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts and Support?