Monday, October 25, 2010

A sweet treat . . .

Double Chocolate Chews--Weight Watcher's recipe

One of my goals in weight loss is allowing myself to eat a sweet treat . . . everyday.  I want to get to the point where I am not feeling like I am depriving myself of what I want.  I hope that I eventually get to a place where I can actually refuse dessert. 

Since joining Weight Watchers I've been baking cookies from their recipes.  It is nice to be able to bake with the kids.  It is nice to be able to give them a healthy, low calorie treat after dinner.  And it is nice to eat 2 cookies for 2 points without feeling immense guilt. 

After lunch yesterday, my daughter refused a chocolate chip cookie that I gave her for dessert.  She said she didn't want it.  Of course, that was fine.  That was great!  Heck, what is wrong with this child that she can so easily refuse it?  I figured it is because she knows she can have it whenever.  She doesn't deprive herself of anything.  She is not a restricter as Geneen Roth wrote in "Women, Food and God".  I am usually the restricter that goes back and forth between permitter and restricter. 

I want a happy medium.  I want to just exist in this life without having a list of "banned" foods.  Okay, I won't eat transfats.  But if I want a darn cookie, I am going to have it. 

Another thing I wish I could do is refuse the offer or temptation of a cookie.  After baking the above delectable delights, I had daughter offer one to her Papa.  He refused.  I heard him say, "no, thank you. I don't want it.  I'm not hungry."  WHAT?  ARE YOU SERIOUS?  IT IS A DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHEW!  And I realized, I want to get to that point.  I want to be like him and my daughter:  I want to have it when I want it, and I want to refuse it when I am not hungry.

Could you resist trying a cookie when you are not hungry?Are you a Restricter or a Permitter?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts and Support?