Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Eating Right . . .


April 21One of my greatest issues is eating appropriately throughout the day.  I have a goal to bring my breakfast, lunch and snacks to work, so that I may eliminate making bad choices through eating out.

In September of 2009, I quit dairy.  I had to cut it out of my diet because I finally realized that my body couldn't tolerate it.  I've felt so much better ever since.  I thought it would be very hard to pass up things that contained cheese, but cheese made me cut the cheese a little too much, and I would have to know where there was a bathroom within a hundred yards.  I think that eliminating these things from my diet allowed me to lose the 7 lbs since my 5K in October.

But I struggle with appropriate portions of food.  This morning I had 1/2 c. of oatmeal cooked in 1 c. of water with walnuts and cranberries.  I didn't add any sugar.  I only measured out the water and oats, but "feel" that I didn't go overboard on the nuts, however fattening, are a good source of healthy fat and protein.  The cranberries were a substitute for the brown sugar that I am tempted to include, but won't dare.  I also had a banana.  Filling.

This should keep me going until lunch.  However, I've experienced days when I still want to snack in between meals, and if I don't bring a healthy snack, then I am up to the snack bar to find something sweet . . . preferably with chocolate.  And there are the days when I check the clock every hour to see if I am any closer to lunch.  I realize those are the days when I am uber bored or anxious.  Today, with my workout out of the way, is not one of those days . . . yet!

For lunch today is leftovers.  Rice, steak and peas.  My weakness, white rice.  I had to quit white rice for a bit and substituted with brown rice.  Let me just say that there is no substitution for white rice.  It is divine.  I want to be buried on a body pillow of white rice.  Yum.  But I do plan to eat the brown rice.  I find that I don't indulge in second servings of brown rice. Who wants to have seconds of that . . . blech!  I even ate sushi with brown rice last week, so it is doable.

My plan is to menu plan. If I am more organized, then I am sure that I can consume the amount of calories, protein, fats, that my body needs, and not "craves" or "wants desperately to indulge in".


5 a.m. workout: 
25 minutes of 30 Day Shred, level I.  Wishin I could look like Anita.
20 minute jog on treadmill.
10 minute walk on treadmill.

Evening workout planned:
Yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Share Your Thoughts and Support?