Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Dairy-free "ice cream"

non dairy chocolate ice cream

I went dairy free when I connected my stomach issues with my drinking milk or eating any type of dairy. I have asthma and am on 2 medications to keep me symptom free, but I would start wheezing when I ate milk chocolate. My doctor diagnosed me with IBS after doing a series of blood tests for celiac and thyroid.  These tests came back negative, but a Lactose test was never done.  Once I gave up dairy, I no longer seek out bathrooms within a 1 yard radius and I no longer have the painful gas.

I switched to almond milk or rice milk, whichever is on sale. It is so much better for me. I went a little overboard with the Soy Lattes with 7 sugars, but I've successfully rehabbed myself from drinking them.  I quit cold turkey when I noticed a bit of weight gain

And while I don't miss dairy as part of my daily diet, I would like to have a treat every now and then . . . like ice cream.

I love smoothies too. So I figured I could make "ice cream" in my old, powerful blender that I've owned since I was 13 (about 22 years). No need for a Vita Mix at this point.  However, I want one.  I really . . . really . . . REALLY want one.


What I mixed:
  • 1 frozen ripe banana (the ones you don't want to throw away but look too yucky to eat).
  • 2/3 c. (cold) almond milk
  • 2 tbsp almond butter (cold); I keep mine in the fridge.
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
Mix until smooth. This will be a thick mixture that I put in a small storage container and put in the freezer. In a couple of hours, by dinner time, it is ready to scoop for dessert.

Yum, chocolatey!  And then I discovered Purely Decadent and haven't made this since. 

1 comment:

  1. I ♥ smoothies too!!I'm gonna have to try your recipe;)

    Dee~

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts and Support?