Sunday, February 21, 2010

Menu Planning . . .

Yellow Week: Saturday
 
Making healthy meals isn't an easy task for anyone.  And I am finding it even more difficult as a working mother.  I haven't even had time to do menu planning, which is such a simple task that saves so much time and anxiety.  I am hoping to get back to the task.  I use this book, Saving Dinner by Leanne Ely, for some quick recipes for chicken because chicken has become the go-to protein.  While this book can be used as a weekly guide per season, I prefer to pick a recipe for the day.  There are many things that I know my children will not eat.  I have a few standbys that I have memorized and improvise, like caramelized garlic chicken.  Additionally, I will use a chicken or fish recipe to marinade pork, which she doesn't use in her recipes. 

Soy-Orange Chicken

I decided to make soy-orange chicken last night.  I used soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, orange marmelade with salt and pepper to taste.  I put it in an iron skillet and cooked in the oven at 350 degrees.  It cooked in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes depends on the size of the chicken.  These were small chicken tenderloins so they cook much faster. 

Cooked chicken

I love cast iron because it heats so wonderfully and retains the heat for such a good length of time.  I could have my entire cookware be cast iron and be a very happy Mama.  One of my wish lists is to buy a range (when I buy my own house) with a bridge for my cast iron grill/griddle that is peeking in the picture.  I love that thing for eggs, pancakes, steaks, even toasting bread with butter, which I can't have anymore.  *sigh*




5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a quick, easy and tasty meal. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on the difficulty of eating healthy when you have children to take care of. My kids are older now, the two still at home are 13 and 18, but they still take up a huge amount of my energy, and rarely want to eat what I would prepare for myself.Most difficult though is having to balance it with going to work everyday. I've had a great week with my food and have made several new recipes, adding 'flavor' to my food plan, but I was on vacation all week, so I am nervous about keeping up my good work once back to the 'grind'.
    So congrats on the organization and effort that goes into being healthy and well balanced!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Planning meals is SOOOOO important for me to do. I do so that I can plan healthy meals ahead of time and because I'm such a poor college student.

    Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gotta know--what is that amazing looking thing on your header? It makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! glad you're with us over at In College. In Shape. ! Join our menu planning weekend! You'll be an inspiration to others!

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts and Support?